Pages

Saturday 25 November 2006

Auxiliaries + perfect infinitives : Solution

  • A: I've done all the calculations. It took me four hours to finish.
    B: But you needn't have done all that work! We have a computer to do that.
    คุณไม่จำเป็นต้องทำเลย เรามีคอมพิวเตอร์ไว้คำนวณแล้ว
  • I needn't have taken a taxi. I should have walked; it was only a hundred metres.
    ฉันไม่จำเป็นต้องนั่งแท็กซี่เลย น่าจะเดินมากกว่า
  • You should have left a note. (It was very inconsiderate of you not to do so.)
    คุณน่าจะทิ้งข้อความไว้ (ความจริงแล้วคุณไม่ได้ทิ้งไว้)
  • It is possible that I may/might have been mistaken.

  • I was to have gone on Tuesday. But on Tuesday I had a terrible cold so I decided to wait till Wednesday.
    ฉันวางแผนว่าจะไปเมื่อวันอังคาร (วางแผนไว้แล้ว)
  • I sat on a seat in the park and now my coat is covered in green stripes.
    The paint must have been wet.
    สียังไม่แห้งแน่ ๆ
  • But for the fog they would have reached the top next day.
    ประโยคนี้รูปแบบอาจจะไม่ค่อยคุ้น
    But for = If it (weren't/hadn't been) for
    If it hadn't been for the fog, they would have reached the top next day.
    ถ้าไม่ใช่เพราะหมอก(ถ้าไม่มีหมอกแล้ว) พวกเขาก็คงไปถึงยอดวันถัดมา (แต่จริง ๆ แล้วมีหมอก พวกเขาเลยไปไม่ถึงยอดในวันรุ่งขึ้น)
  • I know she was in because I heard her radio, but she didn't open the door.
    Possibly she may/might not have heard the bell.
    เธอคงไม่ได้ยินเสียงกระดิ่ง
  • He should have thanked us. (We are offended that he didn't.)
    เขาควรจะขอบคุณพวกเรา (จริง ๆ แล้วเขาไม่ได้ขอบคุณ)

No comments: